Rottweiler - a brave and strong dog
A large, strong, courageous breed surrounded by gossip and speculation, the origin of which is still a mystery. It is known that the Rottweiler was bred for versatile service to humans, today dogs are perceived as guards, bodyguards and companions. Versatility and a high level of intelligence, allows you to use the breed in the work of special services, patrolling and even wanted.
History of the Rottweiler breed
Written evidence of the progenitors of the breed has not been preserved. Historians suggest that Rottweiler-like dogs were known in ancient Egypt. In addition to the external similarity, both species are related and iron in nature. In those barbarian times, it was more expensive than gold!
On the bas-reliefs of the tomb of Tutankhamun, you can see in detail the impressive battle scenes. The heroes of these stories are assertive, warlike and invincible dogs, which, along with their owners, ruthlessly confront the enemy infantry.
The ancestors of the Rottweiler more than once saved the land of the pharaohs from invasions. But in peacetime, Egyptian dogs led a calm lifestyle. They often participated in religious rites. It is not surprising that their huge statues can be found in the palaces of local rulers.
Dog against a lion
However, the homeland of the Egyptians' favorites was not in the floodplain of the Nile.
Four-legged warriors began to breed in Babylon in the 6th century BC. Here they were called Molossian dogs by the name of the ruling tribe. They did not participate in the battles, but they helped the inhabitants of Mesopotamia hunt lions. And they perfectly guarded the homes of their owners.
A powerful skeleton, strong muscles, unshakable fearlessness and excellent fighting qualities - each hunter dreamed of such a talented helper!
Soon an elite breed appeared in neighboring countries. The Persians proclaimed the Babylonian dogs a symbol of power and wealth. The Assyrians believed that even clay figures of such pets can save homes from evil spirits. And the great Zarathustra drew attention to the incredible ability of these animals to learn. Maybe that's why the warlike Romans took Molossian dogs to conquer the light?
So tempered character
But not one hunting and war lived the ancestors of the Rottweilers. Dog-like dogs also took part in gladiatorial fights between animals. They were set against bulls, lions and even elephants. It was in such arenas in Molossian dogs that extreme aggressiveness and rebellious disposition were brought up.
The main features characteristic of the Rottweiler dog breed:
- It has a developed mind, self-esteem, increased stamina.
- Large and muscular, has powerful jaws. The dog’s attack is difficult to repel even a trained person.
- He tolerates heat poorly, thanks to the thick undercoat he is not afraid of frost, patient with pain.
- It requires the firm hand of a strong leader with a strong character.
- The disadvantages include laziness, desire to dominate, love of sleep in the master's bed, waywardness, stubbornness, cunning.
- Does not tolerate violence.
- Able to independently assess the situation, make decisions and act with lightning speed.
- Athletic, requires increased activity, prolonged walking.
- It needs training exclusively under the guidance of a professional, otherwise it will grow aggressive and uncontrollable.
- It cannot exist without service, physical and emotional stress.
- It has excellent appetite, is almost omnivorous, and therefore prone to obesity.
- Subject to genetic, cardiovascular, skin diseases, eye diseases, joint dysplasia and bloating.
In the city of Rottweil (Germany), which gave the name to the breed, in 2007 a bronze monument was installed to the valiant and faithful dog.
Rottweiler: breed description
Rottweilers are large dogs with a massive body and powerful muscles. Males are significantly larger and heavier than females. Head of medium length, forehead line moderately high, cheekbones pronounced. The ears are triangular, semi-permanent, form a straight line with the upper part of the skull. The eyes are almond-shaped, dark brown. The coat is short and stiff; the undercoat should not be visible. The tail in its natural form extends the line of the back. According to international classification, the breed standards are as follows.
- Weight. For males - about 50 kg, for females - 40-42 kg.
- Growth at the withers. 61-68 cm for a male, 56-63 cm - for a female.
- Color. Black with tan marks on the face, chest and limbs. The color of the tan can be brown in different shades (from red and gold to reddish brown). Other colors, fuzzy manifestation of tans or, on the contrary, their too large area are considered a defect. Also, a purebred rottweiler cannot be long-haired, have no undercoat, or have short, but soft or wavy hair.
- Life span. Rottweiler lives, unfortunately, not for long - 8-12 years.
- Character. Brave, decisive, open, but stubborn and independent. Rottweilers do not show aggression for no reason. These are loyal and fearless defenders of the owner and his family. But to educate the Rottweiler, the owner will have to win the respect of the dog, otherwise the dog will rely on his own opinion more than on the requirements of a person. It is curious that shyness and cowardice, incredulous, spiteful and nervous behavior are directly indicated in the standards as disqualifying defects.
- Intelligence. Dog handlers praise the mental abilities of the Rottweilers. These dogs have been bred for centuries for utilitarian purposes, are well trained, possess good memory and are able to adapt to changing conditions.
- Security and watchdog potential. The breed is used in many countries of the world as a service. It is used by law enforcement and law enforcement agencies to carry out guard, escort and security services, patrol, search for explosives and drugs.
Rottweiler is a working dog with a fighting background. Such a pet will require time, energy and patience from the owner. The following table will help determine whether this breed is right for you.
As such, there are no species and subtypes in the Rottweiler breed. But the breed is spread all over the world, which could not but add local flavor to national standards. The main ones are as follows.
- German standard. This is the classic exemplary rottweiler. German standardization formed the basis of the standards of the International Cynological Federation.
- English standard. Also based on Germanic. The distinguished difference is that the breeders of England even more concentrated on the character of the pet, achieving true English equanimity while maintaining proper protective qualities.
- American standard. Something in common with the Soviet experience in breeding Rottweilers for guard duty. American breeders also preferred the size and evil nature of pets, as a result of which their dogs are larger than European standards and have a far from friendly disposition.
Some external differences between dogs of this breed depend on the breeding line. For example, representatives of the Finnish line have a longer muzzle. The “Austrians” are a little lower and drier than the classic German Rottweilers, since they are bred exclusively as service dogs requiring mobility and mobility. The Norwegian line, on the contrary, is higher than relatives. But the standards, although they have a backlash in height and weight, still determine the breed as large.
As in other breeds, there are cases of the birth of small puppies that do not reach the standards. But the dwarf rottweiler is not a separate subtype, but a consequence of a genetic malfunction, which is associated with selection errors, parental diseases. Often, such animals have a number of concomitant diseases, they may have an unstable psyche.
Rottweiler Care and Maintenance
Caring for the Rottweiler is easy. From time to time comb out the fur on the street, otherwise it will remain on things in the house, once or twice a year bathe the beast with shampoo and ... all, in fact, except that you should not forget to treat the pet from parasites and take it to the veterinarian for vaccination. With extreme wool contamination (for example, when walking in bad weather), it is better to just use a damp terry towel and clean out all the dirt. Teach a puppy or adult dog to wait patiently while taking care of himself from the moment he appears in the house so that he does not have to keep the dog with his whole family every time you are going to comb her hair or bathe.
Rottweiler needs to be fed only with natural food or only dry. Feeding both dry and natural food is harmful to health. If you choose between two types of food, then you should make a choice in favor of high-quality food for dogs of the super premium class, otherwise it is better to spend time cooking food from natural products, since they put little good in cheap food. Nutrition with a natural one is good in that it is somewhat cheaper, and you will know which products you put in the porridge for the animal.
Rottweiler is quite unpretentious in everyday life. If the dog lives in the apartment, after walking it needs to wash its paws, and in case of rain, wipe the entire dog with a dry towel. The rest of the hair care is very simple:
- bathe - three to four times a year;
- comb - once or twice a week with a special brush (during molting daily).
This will not only improve the appearance of the coat, but also allow you to timely identify the appearance of parasites or the first symptoms of skin diseases. Some reviews of the rottweiler indicate that the dog can even be vacuumed, if, of course, you accustom it to this from childhood.
When combing, pay attention to the condition of the ears and teeth. Ears should be wiped with a damp cloth (not cotton buds). For cleaning teeth, use special sticks or a paste and brush (sold at pet stores).
Breeding Rottweilers is an interesting and important moment in the life of not only the dog, but also the owner, because most of the failures occur not through the fault of the male, but because of the ignorance of the owners.
Preparing for the mating
The main criterion that affects the outcome of mating is the timing of mating. It must be planned for 12-13 days from the beginning of the discharge. Before mating Rottweilers, the bitch must not be washed, because it will wash away the natural smell, which will lead to unwillingness of the male.
Choose a time for knitting so that you are not in a hurry. The room should have a comfortable temperature. Take care to eliminate all irritants. Only dog owners are allowed indoors. Usually a rottweiler bitch is led for mating with a male, and not vice versa. Upon arrival, take your time, give the girl time to get used to the new room, to sniff.
It’s not worth preparing the dog for mating, it is important to ensure that the dog does not have other incidents a week before mating. Before mating, walk the dog well, feed, but not too tightly.
On average, mating can take from 20 to 90 minutes. Usually, a healthy dog with the smell of estrus is immediately excited, if this did not happen, perhaps the optimal moment for conception has not yet arrived (the dog determines this by smell). Try to breed your pets for 10-20 minutes, if this does not help, transfer the mating for a day.
If the male has covered the bitch, you must help the pet. The owner of the dog supports the bitch by the stomach so that it is not difficult for her to hold the load of the dog, the owner of the bitch holds her by the collar so that she does not make sudden movements (this can be extremely dangerous). If the cage did not occur for about a minute, the cable should be removed from the bitch and allowed to catch his breath.
If the cage is completed, the duration of the frictions is from 20 seconds to a minute. Do not remove the male ahead of time. The signal for withdrawal will be the cessation of bitching of the bitch.
If the mating of the Rottweilers was successful, the dog will bear the puppies for 9 weeks, although there are deviations. Up to 4 weeks, the dog’s maintenance will not change, after which you will have to take care of a new diet and the selection of the room in which the Rottweiler will be born.
A bit more on how to train a rottweiler
Rottweiler is a smart dog, and therefore, as soon as the puppy gets home, he himself will begin to grasp various trifles. So he gets used to your voice within 2-3 days, recognizes who is the boss and remembers the nickname. Rottweiler quickly remembers the sound of knocking on his plate and even sleepy can run into the kitchen. This skill can be used when training the To Me team.
Start practicing this command on the street, repeating for a walk 4-5 times. Treat the puppy with a treat as soon as he completes the command. Do not scream, if the training of the Rottweiler fails, be patient.
From 4 months on, a growing dog begins a period of independence, and he can ignore your commands. To do this, use the trick to attract attention - sit down or clap your hands. If this does not help, turn in the opposite direction and walk without losing sight of the dog. It is necessary to ensure that the dog itself comes to you. After he comes up, don’t scold him for disobedience, but, on the contrary, praise that he has fulfilled the command.
If the “To Me” team cannot be instilled, you will have to work it out with a long leash. In addition, the team needs to be associated with a gesture: the right hand easily lowers to the hip (without banging).
Rottweiler and kids
From the moment of pregnancy, the dog feels it. Here, as with the oldest child, one cannot cause jealousy, still paying attention to the dog. Let the pet get used to the smell of the baby. For this, you can also transfer some clothes from the hospital and give the dog a sniff. When mom and baby are discharged, do not hide the child from the dog, locking in another room. So the dog will explain that you brought a stranger. Let the child sniff, let the dog get used to being a new member of the family. However, never leave your baby and dog alone. From the very first days, the Rottweiler should understand that in the apartment, the child is higher in rank.
One way or another, raising a dog, remember that each pet has its own character and you will have to get used to its features.
The advantages of the breed include:
- Stable balanced psyche.
- High intelligence.
- Reliable property guard and bodyguard.
- Ease of grooming.
- Not annoying and not annoying. He knows how to keep himself busy.
- Sheds moderately.
In 1999, the Rottweiler Orion saved the lives of thirty-seven people by dragging out their waters during a flood in Venezuela.
- Strong dominant character, which can only be managed by a trustworthy and respectful owner.
- It is a potentially dangerous dog, which imposes an increased responsibility on the owner in raising and walking.
- It is clumsy due to its large size and mass, which can cause difficulties in maintenance.
- It requires a complete balanced diet, which entails tangible financial costs.
- A cunning because of natural ingenuity.
- Increased salivation.
- It does not tolerate heat.
- Sometimes snores and coughs in a dream.
In 2002, Swiss dog handlers did a great job of collecting statistics on Rottweiler attacks on people. According to the results, it turned out that, indeed, this breed, having ceded leadership only to the German Shepherd, bites people more often than others. The pressure of the jaws of a rottweiler with a bite reaches 22 atmospheres.
When purchasing a puppy, if you are not familiar with the features of the exterior and other nuances of the breed, contact an expert for help. Only a specialist will be able to check the correctness of the bite, the absence of congenital heart diseases, the norm of the size and proportions of the puppy. If this is not possible, you must be guided by the following rules:
- The puppy should be agile, playful, curious, friendly, not timid, to make contact freely.
- He should not be aggressive or bite.
- It is best to choose a leader in the litter.
- External signs:
- Do not try to choose the largest or smallest of the litter, prefer the medium size.
- The tail should be without creases, straight.
- Eyes and ears are clear, without secretions, eyes without lacrimation.
- In male dogs, both testicles are fully descended into the scrotum.
- The nose is well pigmented, cold and moist.
- Dewclaws (fifth fingers on hind legs) are stopped.
- Scissor bite.
- The coat is black, shiny, without dandruff.
- Lack of umbilical hernia.
- Scissor bite.
- Lack of obesity.
Before acquiring a puppy, it is best to take a vacation. In the early days of the pet, it is important to pay a lot of attention. By purchasing it, check the documents, the numbers of the stigma on the paper with the numbers on the stigma itself, the presence of vaccinations in the veterinary passport. Read the information about the parents of the future pet, view their photos, ask about participation in exhibitions, competitions and subsequent evaluation.
Experienced experts recommend purchasing a puppy with the darkest tan as possible. Such individuals have greater stamina, good immunity and good health. Remember that after the first molt, the hair will become lighter.
Another nuance is that the Rottweiler has no varieties: long-haired, royal, brindle, dwarf, cannot be gray, brown, red, etc. The breed can have only one color marriage: a white spot on the chest, everything else is unclean.
In cynological circles, there is a serious discussion about the need to stop the per se and the humanity of such operations in relation to tetrapods. Already in a number of countries, pruning is prohibited, and dogs that have undergone such interventions cannot participate in exhibitions and breeding. There is no legislative prohibition in Russia, and the decision to stop the tail and stop the ears is made directly by the breeder or future owner.
According to dog breeders, while cropped dogs are more familiar to the public. On the other hand, myths about the benefits of stopping have also been debunked for a long time.
Dogs that did not stop the tail are perfectly mastered with this part of the body, even if hundreds of generations of their ancestors were deprived of it. And ear cutting does not reduce the risk of getting otitis media or another similar disease. So the operation is purely cosmetic, and whether or not to do it is up to you.
The first vaccinations to the puppy are often made by the breeder, in one and a half to two months. Up to five months, with an interval of three weeks, revaccination is carried out (repeated injection of the vaccine to maintain immunity). From 12 months, the dog is vaccinated annually. Rottweiler puppies are vaccinated against:
- parainfluenza virus;
- parvovirus enteritis;
The schedule of vaccinations is better to draw up together with the veterinarian. For 10-14 days before each vaccination, the animal must be treated for worms.
The breed is quite hardy, but prone to some diagnoses:
- Gastrointestinal diseases - bloating, intestinal upset, intestinal infections: parvovirus and coronavirus enteritis, coccidiosis.
- Diseases of the musculoskeletal system - dysplasia of the hip and elbow joints, gonarthrosis (rupture of the cranial cruciate ligament), osteochondrosis, atlantoaxial instability, arthritis
- Ophthalmic disorders - cataract, glaucoma, entropion (inversion of the eyelid), progressive retinal atrophy, retinal dysplasia, keratitis, conjunctivitis.
- Oncology - osteosarcoma, prostate cancer, breast cancer, leukomyoma, leydigoma.
- Diseases of the internal organs - hepatitis, pancreatitis, cholangitis, kidney failure.
- Diseases of the skin - eczema, dermatosis, dermatitis, congenital hypotrichosis (symmetrical baldness).
- Cardiovascular pathologies - aortic stenosis, myocarditis, myocardial infarction.
- Diseases of the nervous system - epilepsy and encephalitis.
- Other diseases are diabetes mellitus, tumors of the perianal glands (perianal adenomas).
Cost and where to buy
Rottweilers - the breed is not cheap, both in content and in acquisition. Depending on the nursery, class and pedigree, a Rottweiler puppy costs from 15,000 rubles (data for December 2017). It is difficult to outline the upper price limit, since the best puppies from breed champions are interesting not only to simple dog breeders, but also to breeders and breeders.
Cost may vary by region. In addition, dogs with an imperfect pedigree, without the required documents or with pedigree defects are often sold much cheaper. But there is no guarantee that a dog bought not from professional breeders will be healthy mentally and physically.
Rottweiler dog breeding kennels are quite widespread, there are in most regions of Russia and neighboring countries. Here are some examples.
- The Tsar's Pack (Moscow) - http://www.rottweiler-rkf.com;
- Akslen (St. Petersburg) - http://akslen.ru;
- Kennel of Rottweilers and East European Shepherd Dogs Grand Animals (Armavir) - http://zilberwasserfall.com;
- Schwarzer Held (Minsk) - http://www.rottweiler.by;
- KLENSMEN KLIRI (Zaporozhye) - https://shakiradog.jimdo.com.