American Bulldog Training
Today's review will be devoted to an amazing dog, which contains such qualities as courage, strength and power. Your attention is a dog of the American Bulldog breed or as it is affectionately called Ambul. Only here you will see original photos and videos, as well as a closer look at the description of the breed and reviews of the owners of a wonderful pet.
For the first time, bulldogs (“bull dogs”) were discussed in the 16th century, in the context of breeding dogs for fights with bulls. In America, bulldog breeds were generally very popular, and did not endure such strong changes as in European countries.
In the 1700s, European breeders also turned their attention to the bulldogs, who were looking for new gladiators. Thus,dog breed American Bulldog hit the mainland. At that time, the English Bulldog breed already existed, which differed from the American in a number of signs, mainly physical ones.
Now scientists and breeders are of the opinion that the impurities of the blood of the pit bull terrier or bullmastiff played a significant role in the formation of the American Bulldog breed, which helped to avoid the disappearance of the breed.
With the ban on dog fighting in 1835, the breed gradually began to thin out and degenerate, and only in the XX century it was remembered again, and took up its maintenance. At this time, nurseries began to be organized around the world. In Russia, this breed gained popularity only in the 90s of the XX century, but the breeders realized how beautiful this breed of dogs was, and it began to gain popularity relatively quickly.
The thoroughbred ambul is a very beautiful animal. It combines power, strength and stability. These are large, athletically built dogs with a large head and muscular paws.
There are two types of American Bulldog standards - classic (Johnson type) and standard (Scott type). Those who are completely unfamiliar with this classification can take them for two different breeds. The classic ambulance is the one that is most often found in the pictures: heavy, powerful and stocky. He has a short muzzle, a square body and large paws.
The standard bulldog is completely different - it is lighter, more slender and does not cause a feeling of power and strength. Such an ambul is more mobile, capable of long trainings and fast running. When choosing a puppy, it is important to immediately familiarize yourself with the description of the two types, so as not to experience disappointment after seeing the wrong pet that you wanted.
So, the breed standard according to the NKC version:
- The general addition is a harmonious, short-haired, moderately muscular and strong dog. Indicators of endurance, agility and strength at altitude. Males are more massive and stocky than bitches.
- Character - sociability, attentiveness and lack of unmotivated aggression. Balanced. Sometimes ambulances are more self-confident than other dogs, this is allowed.
- Height (classic type) - from 58 to 68 cm at the withers. Weight - from 36 to 56 kg. The height of the standard type dog remains the same, the weight is slightly reduced - from 33 to 52 kg.
- Head voluminous, flat from above, stop pronounced. The standard type assumes a wedge-shaped or square head, while in the classical case a round head is preferred.
- The muzzle of the ambulo is very wide, with large nostrils, tapering to the nose. The lips and nose are painted with black pigment, but a little pink is allowed.
- The teeth should not be visible if the mouth is closed. Reverse scissor bite. Scissor bite is not allowed.
- The eyes are small, both round and almond-shaped. The color is dark.
- The ears are high, may be hanging or half-standing.
- Neck with pronounced muscles.
- The limbs are heavy, large, strong.
- The coat is only short. Any other species are considered a serious flaw.
How to care and feed
The American Bulldog, like any other dog, requires constant care. It is absolutely not complicated. First of all, you need to pay attention to the state of the animal's hair. To remove dandruff, dust, it is recommended to use a special brush. If ectoparasites (such as fleas) are detected, you need to purchase a washing liquid, an aerosol, or a collar.
Frequent water procedures are undesirable for an outpatient. A thoroughbred dog is washed no more than 3-4 times a year. Do it in the warm season. Wash your pet in warm water. It is allowed to use special shampoo or baby soap. If the dog often gets dirty during walks, then after returning home they wash their paws. The hair is combed out with a brush once a week (minimum).
We must not forget that the pet needs regular walks. It doesn’t matter how long the owner stays on the street. It is important for him how many kilometers a person will go with him. During walks you need to carefully monitor the dog. The animal has crazy behavior. A pet can run headlong somewhere or pick up bones, scraps from the ground.
And now about feeding. Puppies of the American Bulldog eat 6 times a day: 3 times they are given meat (the daily norm of this product is 150 g), 3 times milk. When the pets turn 2 weeks old, the owners transfer them to 5 meals a day. As they grow, the number of feedings is reduced, and the rate of meat is gradually increased.
An adult thoroughbred dog is fed 2 times a day. If physical activity is present in a pet’s life, then it can be fed three times a day. Feeding time depends on the rhythm of life. If the dog is taken out for a walk early, then the food is usually given to her after returning home after a couple of hours.
The owners always carehow many american bulldogs livehow to take care of them, so that they will please their devotion longer, what diseases should be feared.
Ambuli are strong and healthy animals. Most often they suffer from allergies and joint diseases. To avoid allergic reactions, you must adhere to a diet. Household chemicals, food, insect bites, reagents on the streets can be allergens.
Dysplasia is common in bulldogs: hip or elbow joints. These ailments sometimes require long-term treatment and surgical intervention. The degree of dysplasia can only be determined by a veterinarian; if it is started, the dog will not be able to lead a full life.
Bulldogs are also diagnosed with:
- inversion of the century;
- pulmonary aortic stenosis;
- tumor in the perianal region.
Only regular visits to the veterinary clinic will help prevent the health problems of your faithful pet.
To care for animals, you must purchase:
- rubber glove mitt for combing;
- shampoo for dogs with short hair;
- toothbrush and toothpaste;
Consider how to properly care for hair, teeth, eyes, ears, claws of bulldogs.
- Dog hair is short, but still requires regular brushing. The purpose of the procedure is to remove lost hair.American bulldog care he tolerates his coat very well and enjoys such a manifestation of care. The dog needs to be combed once a week, and during molting, increase to 2 times a week.
- Checking the coat for parasites, examining the ears, palpating the abdomen are mandatory activities that need to be done once a week. Toothbrushing - with the same frequency. Eye care should be carried out daily by wiping them with a damp cloth. Folds on the face are also an object of increased attention, wipe them with a damp cloth. American bulldogs have increased salivation, which requires owners to pay attention to the face of the animal.
- If the dog does not have the opportunity to walk on a hard surface, for example, on asphalt, when its claws naturally grind, it is necessary to trim the claws. Too long claws can cause incorrect positioning of the paws of the animal, especially in childhood. Claws should be cut once a month.
- Bathe a bulldog only as necessary, the best option is 1 time in 4 months.
How to keep an American bulldog?
If you keep an ambul in a city apartment, then there should be more trainings, and their intensity should be higher. This takes into account the age of the dog, so as not to overdo it. Active walks of at least 1 hour are an important requirement.
Owners of an outpatient can be touched or annoyed by some features of the dog. Due to increased salivation, they leave their drooling everywhere. Snoring at night is also characteristic of dogs. If there are still dogs in the house or apartment, then there may be conflicts with them because of the ambulance's desire to take a leadership position.
American Bulldog Puppy Selection
When purchasing a puppy of an American bulldog, you first need to decide what quality you see your pet in. Will he be just a companion, friend, family member, or champion and star of the ring? The characteristics of the puppy and, accordingly, the price will depend on this. However, in any case, the dog should be thoroughbred, so it is better to contact the kennel or a professional breeder.
Sometimes under the guise of puppies from "elite" parents, unscrupulous breeders sell a cross between a boxer with a pit bull or a staf with an English bulldog, which are often similar to the American bulldog only in color. A good breeder will always provide you with documentary evidence of the pedigree and parental titles.
In pursuit of profit, some breeders knit a bitch every estrus. This negatively affects both the health of the bitch and the quality of the offspring. You can get reliable information about mating in the breed club.
The optimal age for buying a puppy is at least 1.5 months. The weight of the American Bulldog puppy at this age is 5-6 kg. With strong deviations in this parameter, the purchase of such a puppy should be abandoned. Too low weight indicates improper puppy rearing; too much weight in the future may turn into problems in the exterior, since under the influence of excess weight, deformation of still fragile bones occurs. A good puppy is bony, he has a large head, a wide muzzle. The coat should be shiny, the eyes clear and the ears clean.
The peculiarity of the American Bulldog breed is that some puppies can be inactive and inactive. This is not a vice and passes with age.
Today, any self-respecting club must brand all litters. When buying a puppy, you will receive a puppy card and a veterinary passport with vaccination marks. The puppy’s personal stamp, usually located in the groin or ear, must match the mark on the received documents.
Features mating American Bulldog
When deciding on a pet mating, it is important to remember that the goal of the breeder is, first and foremost, to improve and maintain the breeding line, rather than making money. You need to be serious about choosing a partner for your pet in order to prevent degeneration.
The physical formation of the body of the American bulldog is fully completed only by the age of 2-3 years, so early mating is not recommended. According to the regulations of the Russian Cynological Federation of American Bulldogs, mating and bitches and dogs are allowed from the age of 18 months.
American Bulldog bitches tend to happen once every six months and last an average of 21 days.
American Bulldog Training
It is necessary to start training an American bulldog from the very first day of his stay in the house. It should immediately indicate for the puppy the rules of behavior in the house and norms of communication with family members.
Below is a list of the main prohibitions for a normal well-bred American bulldog. At your discretion, this list may be expanded by a ban on lying on the couch or some other.
1. The dog is forbidden to bite the owner in any circumstances. You must be adamant - whether the dog bit you in the game or expressing dissatisfaction with something. In any case, the bite should be followed by punishment. Take the indent by the scruff and lift it up. Your actions must be accompanied by a reprimand. It is not so important what you will say; it is important in what tone. It is necessary not to scream, but to speak in a confident and displeased tone. When you see humility in the puppy's eyes, be sure to continue the game or, if the conflict occurred during any necessary procedures (wiping paws, cleaning your ears, eyes), finish the job and praise the pet.
2. Dog is not allowed to pull the leash. American Bulldog - a dog with great strength. In order to avoid trouble, it is necessary that the puppy understand this rule in childhood. Encourage your pet if it is quietly following you; Teach your puppy to change the pace of movement and stop with you. Any manifestation of independence must be stopped by a team and a jerk of a leash.
3. The dog is forbidden to lean its forepaws on people. The American Bulldog is not only a strong, but also a large dog. Standing on its hind legs, an adult male will be able to put the front on the shoulders of a fairly tall man. A man can stand, but a huge dog will simply tumble a child or woman. Therefore, do not let the puppy jump on you, even if it expresses joy or greets one of the people. Any such actions must be stopped by the team and pulling the leash or pulling the dog by the collar. Once understanding, caress the pet.
4. The dog is prohibited from raising food from the floor or the ground. American bulldogs are distinguished by excellent health, however, bone from the garbage can is not the best food for a pet. Bulldog is allowed to eat from a bowl, from the hands of the owner or in its place. The desire to raise something edible from the floor or the ground must be suppressed by command and mechanical action, for example, a jerk of the leash. If the dog is not on a leash, throw something at it (slipper, plastic bottle).
5. The dog is forbidden to fight with other dogs! American bulldogs are non-aggressive and self-confident. They will not just rush at their brothers. However, in the absence of proper upbringing, even a noble bulldog can start to bully and initiate fights. Do not let your pet growl or snarl at other dogs. It is better if friendly dogs, or representatives of the opposite sex, enter his circle of communication. Do not provoke your bulldog: you should not play with someone else's dog in the presence of your pet, or play with one toy at the same time with two dogs.