Akita Inu content at home
It is believed that the breed is divided into two different types. The first is the "Japanese", and the second is the "Americans." Adherents of the Japanese Akita "recognize" only a few colors. While their "opponents" are sure: the American Akita can wear a "fur coat" from snow-white to deep black. Even options are allowed in which the “Americans” have a dark monophonic “mask” on their faces and a spotted fur coat. Externally, the two types of breed are also slightly different. Mostly in the shape of the head. Japanese Akita looks like a fox, its face is slightly elongated. The American has a blunt skull shape, but higher in the withers.
Akita Inu is one of the 14 oldest breeds, among which there are also “voiceless” Besenji, Afghan Hound and Alaskan Malamute.
History of origin and interesting facts
The Japanese who inhabited the islands of Honshu and Hokkaido were born hunters. And therefore it is not surprising that it was they who bred one of the oldest dog breeds on planet Earth - Matagi Inu. Translated into Russian, this breed is called hunting. It is believed that it was with the Matagi that the history of the Akita Inu breed began.
The latter got their name from the prefecture in which they were bred. Therefore, from time to time in some sources there are other names of the breed. For example, odate-inu - according to the name of the district of Odate, in which the prefecture mentioned above is located.
Born at the foot of Fujiyama
Mount Fuji is considered the highest point in Japan. It was here, at the foot of the active stratovolcano, in the north of the island of Honshu, that the oldest remains of dogs were discovered, which, according to the characteristics restored by scientists, resemble modern Akita. Inu in Japanese means dog. And if you translate the name of the breed literally, you get "a dog from Akita." It is noteworthy that there is no merit of breeders in the development of the breed. Thanks for the pretty "fluffy" can and should be only Mother Nature.
During the Second World War, a special law was in effect in Japan, which - if he had appeared today - would have plunged into deep shock not only ardent animal defenders, but also the entire civilized society. The law stated that four-legged friends who were not suitable for participation in the war should be destroyed.
It is worth recognizing that in those dark times, not only canine, but also millions of human lives were put at stake. To save the breed, the Japanese began to interbreed akita with alien dogs. As a rule, these were German shepherds, mastiffs, mastiffs, and St. Bernards. Pure Akita after World War II remained extremely small. But it was thanks to them that the breed was restored.
Tying and pregnancy akit is acceptable from 15 months. Until this time, the bitch is considered a puppy. The optimal period for meeting with a potential groom is from the tenth to the 14th day from the moment of estrus. If everything goes well, the delivery will take place in 56-72 days.
Do you know that…
The Akita Inu dog breed is essentially a living legend. It is enough to look at the smiling face to understand: it was these four-legged friends who became the prototype for creating the famous Internet meme - a smile dog.
- Hachiko means eight. An unusual numerical name was given by a professor at the University of Tokyo to his pet for one simple reason: he had the eighth dog in a row.
- Monument during life. In April 1934, a monument was erected in Tokyo to the most faithful dog. The culprit was personally present at the event. During the war, the monument was melted down to metal, and in 1948 the monument was restored again. Today, the square at the railway station, above which stands a statue of a faithful dog, is a popular meeting place for lovers.
- Dog for good luck. Ancient Japanese believed that Akita Inu attracted luck to the house. Therefore, communication with the four-legged favorites among the emperors and nobles took place strictly according to the ceremonial. For a long time, a law was in force in the land of the rising sun, according to which a person who offended an Akita was punished with all severity.
- Rescuers and bodyguards. In the United States, Akita is used as bodyguard. Dogs confirm their title of bodyguards at the annual competitions. The Japanese are training representatives of the breed to participate in rescue operations.
Description of Akita Inu breed
Akita Inu is far from a miniature dog breed, it is quite powerful, but at the same time very
beautiful, you just can’t take your eyes off her. The coat is thick and dense, the tail is often thrown back. Akita Inu has an Asian type muzzle, large with a long forehead and small erect ears.
- Weight adult female from 32 to 45 kg, male from 40 to 45 kg.
- Growth at the withers of a female 58-64 cm, male 64-70 cm.
- Six double with thick undercoat, upper hair longer and coarser. The undercoat is very delicate, similar to fluff. The coat is 5 cm long, but on the stomach and tail it can be longer.
- Forehead wide and has a hollow in the middle.Muzzle medium length with a thick base.Lipsblack, very dense.
- Eyes Akita Inu are small, triangular in shape, with a brown stroke.
- The ears not very large, triangular in shape, erect, slightly inclined forward.
- Neck huge and muscular, the hair on it forms a kind of collar.
- Back straight, strong, chest wide.
- Tail twisted to the top.
- Life span Akita Inu from 10 to 12 years.
Table of changes in height and weight
Representatives of the ancient Japanese breed grow extremely slowly. Only a dog that has reached the age of three can be called fully formed. The table will guide you in the approximate growth and weight of the animal in different age periods.
Table - Standards for height and weight of Akita Inu
|Age months||Height, cm||Weight, kg||Note|
|6||56||21||- The roundness characteristic of puppies disappears;|
- the dog takes on forms that are fully consistent with the adult
|10||62||25||The dog gains from 4 kg to 7 kg per month|
|12||64||30||By this time, bitches begin to estrus, however, an adult cannot yet be considered|
|24||70||40||Physical development is much slower than before|
Slowing down of physical development occurs when the pet gains a mass of 35 kg. However, the dog still continues to change. Over the next 12 months, her chest expands, she becomes toned, acquires a proud look.
The character of Akita Inu
Akita Inu possesses the most beautiful character. Dogs of this breed can easily become your best friends. After all, they are quiet, calm, affectionate, bark only when necessary. This breed is very clean, always clean and odorless. Such dogs are very patient and get along wonderfully with children, have a tendency to protect the owner.
Since long since Akita Inu was used for hunting and possesses proprietary instincts, it must be taught to other animals at an early age. Without this, dogs can behave aggressively towards others, especially dogs of the same gender. But if they grow, for example, with a cat, they will marvelously get along with her.
They are also excellent guard dogs and very strong defenders. An extremely intelligent, balanced dog, but at the same time independent, stubborn and assertive, but this is if it does not get enough load.
Varieties of Akita Inu
In the middle of the last century, Akita Inu began to cross with a German shepherd. Thus, shepherds, hunting and fighting Akita were born. A bit later, dog handlers began working to restore the original appearance of the dog. Today, Akita Inu is distinguished mainly by color. brindle (the presence of white, red or black) red (has a red color, diluted with white spots on the paws, abdomen and face) white (only a completely white color is quoted, not counting the black tip of the nose) American (different physique. Tightly folded and large)
Content and Nutrition Requirements
The size of the adult Akita Inu, as well as the unpretentiousness of the breed in grooming, allow you to keep a smile dog not only in a country house, but also in a city apartment. The main thing is not to neglect the basic rules, be prepared for the fact that twice a year (usually in the off-season) the dog sheds much.
How to care
Even a schoolboy can take care of a representative of the oldest Japanese breed. “Sore spots” are teeth, ears and hair. Below - in order.
- Combing schedule. Wool is the main advantage of Akita. And at the same time - the main problem of the owner. In winter and summer, when the pet does not fade, it is enough to comb it with a special brush once every seven days. If the molting period has started, you will have to make more efforts: you need to scratch the dog at this time three to four times a week. Otherwise, the wool will clump, and on the carpet, chairs and couch you will find woolen "presents" every now and then. Pet grooming should be taught from childhood. It is extremely difficult to get a haircut for adults. But dogs, accustomed to the process from puppyhood, perceive grooming as something mundane, for granted.
- Teeth cleaning. Teeth - the visiting card of the breed. The owner must closely monitor that they are healthy, not covered with stone and plaque. Proper feeding and regular brushing is the key to healthy teeth. To carry out cleaning, you need to purchase a dog toothbrush. But if the animal in every possible way denies the hygiene procedure, or the owner cannot, for certain reasons, carry out it regularly, you can do with special sticks. This is a chewing product, which, when consumed weekly, helps to cleanse plaque in a dog and prevents the formation of stones.
- Ear cleaning. This is another mandatory hygiene procedure that must be performed every seven days. A feature of the breed is erect ears, prone to various kinds of pollution. Every week, with the help of an ordinary cotton swab, the ears should be cleaned by performing the procedure carefully so as not to injure the animal.
It is necessary to bathe the dog once every two to three months, with the obligatory drying of the wool. However, it is unlikely that you will be able to conduct bath procedures less often - Akita loves to ride through puddles, fall out in the mud.
What to feed
The rules of feeding that apply to Akit are practically no different from similar rules for other breeds. First of all, this is a categorical refusal to feed from the table. Even if the pet is very asking. But Akites are cunning and can skillfully play on the feeling of compassion of the owner, which in this case is completely inappropriate.
- Dry food. The best option is a high-quality and balanced feed for representatives of this particular breed. Feed selection is best done in the presence of a veterinarian or based on his recommendations.
- The alternation of food and traditional food. If desired, dry food and traditional food for humans in the diet of Akita can be alternated. Three or four times a week, one meal of a four-legged friend can be replaced with vegetable or meat broth cooked on white meat (for example, based on chicken breast), cottage cheese, kefir or porridge with dietary meat and vegetables.
- Pure water. Pure drinking water should always be poured in the dog’s bowl. Even if the bowl is full, once every two days you need to change the water for fresh.
During molting, you need to feed Akita Inu with a special fortified food that promotes the growth of healthy coat.
Training or how to educate Akita Inu
This is not a mini dog that you can wear clothes and just play, but the process of training akita inu requires great patience and endurance. The upbringing of this not a small dog is slow, each representative of this breed requires a certain approach and attention. She is not recommended to be raised as a guard dog. The dog develops very slowly, finally grows up only by two years.
Her laziness can easily be replaced by a playful mood. The nature of each individual of this breed must be carefully studied and then it will bear fruit. Breeders start training from an early age.
Choosing an Akita Inu puppy
For acquiring a dog of such a noble breed as Akita Inu, go to the club of the corresponding breed. Ideally, the club should be recognized by the International Canine Organization. When choosing a puppy, rely on the following points: Choose an animal from a small litter, where all puppies are of medium size. Ask the seller to familiarize you with the pedigree of the dog. Take an interest in the presence of letters and prizes, as well as possible genetic diseases and allergies. It is not recommended to take a puppy whose parents were closely related, it can be painful.
An approximate psychological portrait of the puppy can be found in contact with his parents. A healthy puppy is mobile, has a good appetite, a playful character, shiny eyes, smooth hair and clean ears. The puppy should not emit an unpleasant odor. Teeth and claws must be intact. It is also worth paying attention to the pet’s reaction to you, as a potential owner. Curiosity, contact and a desire to play are signs of a little Akita's readiness to adopt a new family. If you need a dog for production or a championship, it is recommended to resort to the help of experienced dog handlers for a choice.
The cost of puppies
The show class is the most expensive representative (from 3 to 10 thousand dollars). These dogs are usually of pure pedigree, absolutely healthy both physically and mentally. Great for exhibit. Brid-show-class - similar to representatives of the show-box office, however, unlike the first ones, they are great for breeding. The price category is approximately 2.5 - 4 thousand dollars. Pet class - puppies that are distinguished by cosmetic defects (tooth flaws, discoloration, etc.), which are unacceptable for show dogs. The pricing policy of these puppies is half the cost of a standard Akita.
Disease and treatment
Each dog breed has a disease to which representatives of a particular species are more prone to others. There are also Akita Inu. In the first place in the list of pedigree ailments is hip dysplasia. If the dog is intended for breeding and breeding, then at the age of 24 months it must be sent for x-ray examination. The dog must receive a certificate denying the presence of dysplasia. Otherwise, the individual is not suitable for breeding. Unfortunately, this is not the only "sore" that Japanese dogs suffer.
- Hypothyroidism Thyroid dysfunction often leads to skin diseases. When observing the animal by a specialist and unconditionally following the treatment program, the thyroid function is restored, and skin ailments disappear without a trace. It is scientifically proven that hypothyroidism in Japanese dogs is inherited - from mother to calf.
- Congenital eye diseases. Vision problems and the organs that are responsible for this are also hereditary. Most often, in dogs of this breed there are eyelid inversion, cataract, retinal dysplasia. The result of improper treatment or master oversight (and, as a result, untimely appeal to the veterinarian) can result in blindness. For this reason, all Japanese dogs are recommended to visit an ophthalmologist once a year.
- Erythrocyte abnormalities. Dog breeders should know about this feature of four-legged pets.In their blood, red blood cells K + are contained in an increased amount, and this is normal. Ignorance of this feature leads to false diagnoses. For example, hyperkalemia is a condition in which an excessive amount of potassium is detected in the blood of a living creature.
- Inversion of the stomach. This is a dangerous and common disease in Akita Inu. Prevention consists in frequent feeding in small portions, increased activity immediately after ingestion and preliminary soaking of dry food in a small amount of water.
The pet’s name should correspond to its character, be easy to pronounce for the owner. After all, later for ten years you will have to pronounce it dozens of times a day. And since you have chosen a complex, but very beautiful name, come up with a simplified version of it in advance.
Experienced dog breeders recommend, after buying a puppy, to disengage from the need to determine his nickname. Observe the dog, do not call the first name that comes across. Perhaps some habits or habits of the animal will become a hint or impetus for you. The table suggests top nicknames for akita-inu- "boy" in the Eastern and European versions.
Table - Top 20 nicknames for male Akita
|European name||Eastern name||Transfer|
|Casper||Matiko||Child of beauty|
|Harry||Okie||The open sea|
Choosing a name, it is worth considering the purpose of the dog. A service pet or dog intended to perform a guard function should not become a bearer of a too “soft” name. The pronunciation and pronunciation of the nickname plays an important role in shaping the character. And even when it comes to the bitch. The table suggests 20 of the most popular nicknames for akita-inu- "girls". Perhaps one of these nicknames will become native to your family.
Table - Top 20 nicknames for akita- “girls”
|European name||Eastern name||Transfer|
|Luli||I will dare||Flowering plum|
Advantages and disadvantages of the breed
The advantages of Akita Inu should include its attractive appearance, calm, devotion and high companionable qualities. But, like all living creatures, this breed also has drawbacks, they can be attributed to them: complex training, aggressive attitude to other animals and hunting instincts.
Also, this breed requires time and quality care, which is why it is not recommended to start it with inactive and passive people with insufficient time for the dog.